Occupy Boulder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who I am and what I'm all about...

Go down

Who I am and what I'm all about... Empty Who I am and what I'm all about...

Post  GT Tommy Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:12 am

Hello fellow Occupy Boulder members,

My name is Tom Cummins, I go by the names GT for Grandpa Tom, the name given to me by the kids at the OB encampment, when we had an encampment, and Tommy at the spirituality WG meetings. I am a 64 y/o retired, living on disability, gay grandfather of five, living with HIV, former Wall Street executive who has been an "active" member of OB since the very first rally in October 2011, but I became a "committed" member the day before Thanksgiving, when I first met the very brave kids who established the 24/7 encampment on the Pearl St. Mall. On Thanksgiving day, I started taking food, clothing and blankets to them every night, and really getting to know them. They made the Occupy movement "real" for me, "real as a heart attack", which I almost had on December 6th after huddling in the cold with them in the public restroom on the mall that very cold night. Now that the encampment has been shutdown by the Boulder City Council, I am currently providing shelter for 5 of "my kids" and 2 of their dogs, at great financial risk - if caught, I will lose my Section 8 housing assistance, but I just can't send these kids back to the streets, where they would be at great physical risk. These "crazy kids" have brought new meaning to my life, as well as joy, frustration with the "system", and a determination to do "something about it". They have brought art back into my life, and even have me writing poetry again, and I humbly share the following poem with you:

Outraged
Citizens
Coming together
Unstoppable in their
Pursuit to regain
Your rights and freedoms.

I am a "man of action" with little patience for others in OB who want to take things slow, and be "oh so careful" to not make too many waves. The Tea Party was like a "tidal wave" in the 2010 election, and now has the House of Representatives and this great nation of ours in a strangle hold. I want the Occupy movement to create an f-ing "tsunami" in the 2012 election. I hope many of you will join me in trying to make that happen. My motivation is for the future of my "real" grandchildren. What and where is your motivation in being a member of Occupy Boulder?

Wishing you all Peace, Love and Balance.

Sincerely,

GT Tommy

GT Tommy

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum