Occupy Boulder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Way To Bring All Of Occupy Boulder Together Again

Go down

A Way To Bring All Of Occupy Boulder Together Again Empty A Way To Bring All Of Occupy Boulder Together Again

Post  GT Tommy Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 am

In the past month, can't count the number of people who have said to me: So, what are you doing now that Occupy Boulder is done? I keep explaining that we're NOT done, we're just getting started, but with all the different working groups working on great ideas, and the encampment gone, to the "outside" world it appears that OB is done. By merging two good ideas, I think there's a way to put us back on everyone's radar.

At the Monday GA (1/16) Tracey talked about setting up a tent on Pearl St and teaching people about Occupy and the various issues involved, and at the Saturday GA (1/21) Alan talked about setting up a tent once a month at night in defiance of "Jane's RULE". Both great ideas, but what if we merge them and bring in all the other ideas out there that the various working groups are working on. Just stay with me here for a minute, as I'm writing this while babysitting my 2 1/2 y/o granddaughter:

Picture if you will - every Saturday morning an Occupy tent is setup on the Pearl St. Mall at the old courthouse with signs and a table full of literature about the various interests of everyone involved in Occupy from "fracking" to "closing GITMO" with a couple people manning the table, and at 11 a.m. we all gather for a "rally" and we do something "spiritual" or have some "street theater", and at noon we go marching up and down the mall carrying our signs and shouting to the world, and the march ends at the First Congregational Church for the Saturday GA, and we have so many people at the GA that it's standing room only, but the tent and table are still manned back at the mall, and one Saturday a month we don't take done the tent, we keep it up all night in defiance of "Jane's Rule" with people coming and going in shifts all night. Every working group is involved, and the people of Boulder know that Occupy is here to stay.

There are so many good ideas from so many good people, and the various working groups are all working on so many good things - we just need a way to pull them all together and celebrate all the good work everyone is doing. The spiritual group is working on a one day event to bring more people into the movement through "all things spiritual". Old Grandpa Tom here is trying to get "everyone" informed about "everything" through the use of the Forums, so that when we do have a Saturday GA, the meeting is not bogged down in details, but in approving all the various new good ideas, and celebrating our success.

We still have 24/7 campers in town who want to be involved and see things happening on the street. We have more court dates coming up, and City Council meetings to attend, but like a family, we need a time to all come together, and Saturdays can be that time.

What do you think? Let's discuss it on the Forums. We have new moderators, and "personal attacks' will not be tolerated. As we approach spring time, let your imaginations run wild with ideas of things we can do. Let's fight for the future and have some fun doing it.

GT Tommy

Back to top Go down