Occupy Boulder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Request for Protest Marches

Go down

A Request for Protest Marches Empty A Request for Protest Marches

Post  ep Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:50 pm

I would like ask or start a discussion about having a set weekly protest march. There are a lot of Boulder residents that like to come and protest and march during a set time each week. They are too busy to participate in the GAs, Working Groups, or other activities, but having a set protest march invigorates this sector of the Boulder populace.

I am not asking to replace the speakers or GAs, but have an additional time set aside for marches. That is how it worked for several weeks when Occupy transitioned to Pearl Street. A speaker at 11, a march at 12, and a GA at 1. Also, Occupy has several members that have been very energetic and skilled to lead these marches. Furthermore, what I've noticed is that the demographics of the three activities are different, and OB should try to reach everyone within reason.

I know that it has been mentioned that people should come and vote for proposals at the GA with their feet. However, I don't know if that captures the realities of the average working adult in Boulder; especially given the repercussions of a corporate controlled state where citizens are working longer and harder for less. These people have time and energy constraints.

The number of people attending the different events could be considered a vote as well. Try having a set time for protest marches and tally the number of participants. I predict that OB will have a larger attendance at the marches than at the public speeches or GAs. This excess would constitute the hard working citizens that I believe are being left out, and they are, in their own way, voting with their feet.

Last edited by ep on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove name)

ep

Back to top Go down

A Request for Protest Marches Empty Re: A Request for Protest Marches

Post  Alan R Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Earl, We are intending to have a set time for the marches. My understanding is that Fiore will be presenting the proposal to Wednesday's GA which will then make a decision to allow announcements and planning.

The only part that may be different from your thought is the inclusion of rallies. Before we started the speeches at 11, we gathered on the corner (broadway canyon) and chanted and held signs. I personally like that experience too, but another benefit was it allowed for a variable arrival time before the march. Somehow (hard to believe but true) we have some people who just can't manage to arrive at exactly the same time as everyone else.

So the thought is that we may do rallies with chanting every saturday at 11 AM, marches at noon every saturday at noon (sometimes coordinated perhaps with a direct action that happens on route) and then a GA at 1 PM. every saturday the same. Speakers and Open Mikes might be scheduled for a different day and time.

But all of this is just a proposal. to be decided at the GA.

Alan R

Back to top Go down

A Request for Protest Marches Empty Thank You

Post  ep Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Alan,
Thank you for that information. I will try to be there Wednesday to give input. I do like the speakers and want to thank everyone who set them up. So, keep them coming as well. I just need my rallies and marches and think others do to.

Love and Courage
Earl

ep

Back to top Go down

A Request for Protest Marches Empty Re: A Request for Protest Marches

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down