Occupy Boulder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Participatory democracy

Go down

Participatory democracy Empty Participatory democracy

Post  jimo Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 pm

I think it bodes ill for a movement that identifies itself with the bottom 99% to be afraid of participatory democracy. I know there's a wide range of views here and I think it's good but it seems to me that democracy is a very core fundamental principle. On what legitimacy does anything less rest? I don't think we should look to the founding fathers of the 18th century for much guidance today in the 21st. The founding fathers feared democracy for obvious reasons: they wanted to protect their property from the vast majority which had none. A very significant part of our current problems with oligarchic government can be directly attributed to the undemocratic constitution they created.

Also, commodity money is demonstrably a horrible idea for the vast majority. It locks in a monetary regime in which drastic austerity measures will be routine occurrences, all for no reason other than to hold the value of the dollar in parity with gold, the ultimate in barbaric relics.

jimo

Back to top Go down

Participatory democracy Empty Re: Participatory democracy

Post  chris451 Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:10 am

Particpatory Democracy is what this whole thing is about. We may all have different political views, different ideas for what we want the future to look like. But we all want to participate in our own democracy. everytime you attend a GA or participate in a rally or direct action you are participating if your own democracy. When you vote or address a city council you are choosing a master or asking permission from your masters. That's my take anyway. :)

Chris

chris451

Back to top Go down